Tour historically beautiful Sacred Heart Church from 11 AM - 2 PM. Saturday
The 675,000 bricks for the church were molded by hand and baked on-site from mud brought by wagon from the Trinity River. The historic building has plastered interior walls, varnished oak, and knotty pine.
The stained glass windows are from Italy and France, many donated in honor or memory of local families.
The ceiling, made of pine, has no nails; wooden pegs hold it together.
The 40 pews in the sanctuary and altar rail are original to the church. The completed church, shaped like a cross, was dedicated on June 18, 1893, and named Sacred Heart.
The mural, “The Transfiguration of Christ,” was painted in the 1920s by an unknown artist, and retouched in 1946.
In 1935, the wooden altar, used since 1890, was replaced by the marble altar. The two wooden side altars also were replaced with marble altars.
On April 25, 1926, a new Pilcher pipe organ replaced the old reed organ. It is still used for weekend masses.
The church's confessional is original to the church; it has been modified, however, and soundproofed.
The church chimes play on the hour; they also play several tunes throughout the day.